Crew 245 Sol Summary Report 14APR2021
Summary Title: Exploring the Unknown / First Real EVA
Author’s name: Shayna Hume
Mission Status: Executive Officer
Sol Activity Summary:
· 07:30-08:30: Rehydrated strawberries over oatmeal by Sous Chef Shayna!
· 08:30-09:00: Prep for EVA.
· 09:00: Crew #1 (Ettlin, Dickstein, Coultrup) left for EVA #3 – the first real science EVA. There were significant radio problems since we did not know we would lose comms with distances we had mapped out, however we were able to come up with multiple options in the trade space of 1) new, closer location, and 2) confirmation of being able to go out of radio-distance. The EVA then went very successfully! Excellent handling of the problem.
· 09:00-12:00: Crew Botanist set up Martian regolith botany, Crew Engineer worked on several misc. problems, and XO wrote reports… as normal.
· 12:00: Working on veggie empanadas for lunch!
· 12:00-12:30: Crew Engineer emptied out the sewage tank.
· 12:30-17:00: Misc work throughout afternoon.
· 17:00-19:00: Dinner cooking and report writing. Mac and Cheese for Dinner!
Look Ahead Plan: Tomorrow is our second science EVA, for Crew #2 (Hernandez, Hariharan, Hume). Looking to get all botany experiments underway by tomorrow morning. May have more time for breathing finally and other crew activities.
Anomalies in work: Lost comms with EVA crew when they went at a distance. Turned out to be a non-issue.
Weather: Warm in daytime, around 40 F at nighttime. Clear weather. Heavy wind after noontime.
Crew Physical Status: No issues. Dry noses all around.
EVA: EVA #3, first science EVA with EVA crew #1. Report incoming.
Reports to be filed: Operations Report, EVA Report, EVA Plan, Science Report, Commander’s Report
Support Requested: n/a