Crew 245 Sol Summary Report 15-04-2021
Summary Title: What is Nominal? / Emergency EVA Return
Author’s name: Shayna Hume
Mission Status: Executive Officer
Sol Activity Summary:
· 07:30-08:30: Blueberry pancakes with Nutella!
· 08:30-09:30: Prep for EVA & filming of prep.
· 09:30-11:15: Crew #2 (Hume, Hernandez, Hariharan) left for EVA #4. On this EVA we intended to visit site #2 – at GPS coordinates on the edge of an interesting geologic ridge. We not only managed to identify a possible emergency weather shelter, but sampled three different locations for soil analysis. We noticed clouds getting darker and started heading back. By the time we got to the vehicles, there was significant (~35mph) wind and we felt hurried by inclement emergency conditions. We got back about an hour ahead of schedule but safely, and felt proud of our handling of the situation.
· 12:00-14:00: Spaghetti & Soup for lunch. Hot chocolate on the side!
· 14:00-17:00: After taking an extra long lunch we separated for work. Commander and HSO went to Science Dome for work, Crew Scientist and XO began to work on soil sampling, Engineer and Botanist were working on misc in the GreenHab and on reports.
· 17:00-19:00: Fried rice for dinner! Attempting to send reports at 7p on the dot today to spend some quality time as a crew offline.
Look Ahead Plan: Tomorrow is EVA #5, where Crew #1 will go to a geographic gully location (site #3). At this time, we are beginning to maintain the botany experiments, move onto thicker gloves for the dexterity study, and begin to analyze the soil from the EVA’s.
Anomalies in work: Emergency weather conditions forced an early EVA return!
Weather: Warm in daytime, around 40 F at nighttime. Extremely high winds 11:00 am onwards.
Crew Physical Status: No issues.
EVA: EVA #4, with EVA crew #2. Report incoming.
Reports to be filed: Operations Report, EVA Report, EVA Plan, Science Report, Commander’s Report
Support Requested: n/a